- 4-cup flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cube butter
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ¾ cup sugar
- 1 orange rind
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 oz. whiskey
- ¾ oz. anise seeds
- 1 ½ cup broken almonds (buy whole almonds and cup up)
- Cream butter, then add sugar and beat till fluffy.
- Add orange rinds, eggs, vanilla, almond extract and whiskey.
- Stir in anise seeds.
- Sift dry ingredients into mixture at low speed.
- Add nuts last.
- Roll into long logs on floured board (about the size of a cocktail rye loaf of bread).
- Should make 3-4 logs.
- Bake at 350 degrees till lightly brown – about 20 to 25 minutes.
(If you line the back of a baking sheet with tin foil – it will be easier to get the logs off).
- When the initial baking is done, take logs off the baking sheet and put onto a cutting board while still warm.
- Cut diagonally while still warm and put slices back onto baking sheet.
- Bake each side of cookie for about 3 to 4 minutes.
*Note: Makes approximately 60 cookies.
print this page