- ½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- 4 ½ pounds of veal shank (approximately 4 shanks) cut into thirds
- 1 cube sweet butter
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 10-12 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can of Italian plum tomatoes, drained (about 14 ounces)
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1-½ cups beef broth ( 1 can of condensed beef broth and 1 can regular beef broth)
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and dredge the pieces of veal shank well. Heat oil
- and butter together in a large casserole or Dutch oven and sear the veal, browning well on all sides. Transfer veal to paper towels to drain.
- Add onions, garlic, basil and oregano to casserole and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste, and cook for another 10 minutes. Skim excess fat.
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Return veal shanks to the casserole and add beef stock just to cover. Cover casserole and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour. Uncover and bake for 60 to 75 minutes.
*Note: if the gravy is too thin, take 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and mix with several tablespoons of gravy. Add to the casserole.
print this page
*Note: Serve with egg noodles or polenta.
*Note: 3 hours prep/cook.